A Configuration Management Database and the benefits
As standard, Westgate maintain a Configuration Management Database (CMDB) for all our clients. It is a centralised repository that stores information on all the significant entities in our client’s IT environment.The entities, termed as Configuration Items (CIs) can be hardware, the installed software applications, documents, business services and also the people that are part of your IT system.
Unlike the asset database that comprises of a bunch of assets (we also provide Assent management as standard), the CMDB is designed to support an IT structure where the interrelations between the CIs are maintained and supported successfully. A CMDB helps an organization understand the relationship between the components of a system and to track their configurations.
Day to day the CMDB provides a valuable repository of facts that our engineers use to manage incidents. Our team of highly qualified engineers can easily use Configuration Item status, control incidents by referring the associations between CIs and the applications they manage and find related CIs to reinstate service. CMDB data can inevitably generate incident records. It also gives us the capability to roll back to a known best configuration reference point or checkpoint allows an effective service reinstatement plan.
- Greater first-fix ratio, less time spent asking questions to evaluate the condition with the affected user and a faster average time to reinstate.
- Higher client satisfaction rate as we don’t need to ask those questions about how the system fits together. We can also deliver quicker response time, better service-personnel morale and enhanced business awareness of our clients IT.
The CMDB also gives the Westgate team an abundant source of information for active Problem Management, speeding up and streamlining root-cause investigation to bring us to the problem resolution. Our engineers get instant status update of CIs caused by the problem. The CMDB associates the incidents to problems. It allows us to see the problem CI and connected CIs and their dependencies.
A great benefit to our team and our clients is the it also shows us the history by keeping a record of changes that may have affected the problem. The CMDB allows active problem prevention by scrutinizing combined problem statistics and trending information. Westgate engineers can find asset classes that should be substituted to evade escalating incidents.
- Quicker root-cause investigation and problem determination, problem prevention, lesser recurrence of incident rate, more stable and reliable systems.
- Better end-user experience through active problem management.
As the CMDB keeps details of the configuration within CI’s, it considerably enhances the change management procedure which includes better change-request risk evaluation. This identifies the high-risk changes based on previous success ratio of related CI types and maps out upstream and downstream dependencies.
The CMDB also allows advance setting up of company wide changes that all align to dependent CIs. Westgate use the CMDB to map user data to CIs, simplifying positive and effective communication to our clients. The database displays the CIs that are in the change management process and reveals the position straightaway after a change.
- Greater change realisation ratio, lesser overhead per change, lesser risk of system failure caused by change and improved synchronised change planning during repairing windows.
- Faster change management through a well-controlled manner, greater client acceptance due to improved communication and quicker responsiveness to organisational changes.
Without the CMDB configuration management is impossible as it allows reliable and precise control. Identifying the status accounting and authentication of all CIs in the CMDB.
Westgate operate a comprehensive and effective configuration versioning this allows an effective rollback or restoration plan.
- Low-risk company wide changes, improved stability, less service failures
- Less security patch failures, less downtime
Without constant updating of CI field information through automated discovery and other data sources mapped into a CMDB, our team would not be able to retain precise statistics about our client infrastructure and associated systems in a production environment. The data allows our engineers and automated systems to implement and update security patches and application changes. Enabling version compatibility management and upgrade scheduling.Published: 29th May 2020